Monday, January 25, 2021

A more prudent decision ...?

 I just, just wrote my previous blogpost 12 hours ago -and I've already got a good deal of 2020Q4 built on Debian 10.

It ought to go without saying I'm doing all of this in Virtualbox, as I do with 9/10ths of the other things I write about (with the exception of 86box stuff). But the Debian VM I was building in was built wrong -the disk space was split and arranged oddly.

So this morning I packed up what I had built and then remade another VM -this time with 80 odd gigs and all on one partition, and splatted it back on there.

Ncurses, gcc-10, libcups and harfbuzz all built just fine -but it was building harfbuzz that I discovered that I'd run out of room. I had things build while I slept:

gcc-10

clang

LLVM

harfbuzz

...it turns out that clang and LLVM didn't build; presumably because of space issues. 

Basically, my strategy is the get the problematic builds (ncurses, libcups) built, then the larger ones (gcc-10, clang) ...after that, I'll tackle widget libraries (gtk,wxwidgets and qt) and hopefully after that I'll be able to build packages such as codeblocks and libreoffice.

The title refers to my move (back) to building on Debian instead of Centos. I know where Debian is going to be and what they'll be doing 5 years from now. IBM -not so much. I might be more interested in riding out the Centos drama if I was invested in the RedHat ecosystem to begin with -but I'm not. I've always preferred Mint, Debian or Ubuntu (in that order).

Mind you, the Centos VM feels cozy as a desktop, and I can see myself possibly setting up a RHEL or a "Rocky" Or a "AlmaLinux" secondary desktop in the future -but for the purposes of learning pkgsrc on Linux I think my time is better spent getting things working on Debian. Like I say, I know where they'll be 5 or 10 years from now.

No comments:

automating zfs mounts -a quick and very dirty script

 #!/bin/sh for x in obj xsrc src pkgsrc pkgsrc/distfiles pkgsrc/packages pkg         do zfs create ext/$x zfs set mountpoint=/usr/$x ext/$x ...